Cooking with the twitterer: Holiday Treats
As I was looking through my recipe files last week, a thought crossed my mind: what about parents who are too busy to follow complex recipes? Or people who live alone and either don't have the time to prepare a cake or pie, or don't want to spend money on a batch of ingredients to make something that "no one else but me" will eat?
Yet when we see magazine articles about Holiday Cooking and Baking or remember childhood treats, some of us wonder why we can't "make something nice like that" or we hold back a tear remembering the love that a parent put into a cake or pie or cookies or brownies.
Yesterday I stopped by a Dollar Store and a pharmacy. I noticed that both shops carried lines of bakery products that were quite inexpensive. Here are TWO that I found really usefuL. (I'm not putting "brand names" to these because some companies turn out anywhere from five to twenty different "brands" of the exact same product, including "store brands.")
My first purchase was at the pharmacy: 69 cents for an envelope of blueberry muffin mix. This stuff was great! All you add is water, pour the batter in a greased muffin tray and bake for 28 minutes! The muffins were truly amazing, the kids ate every single one!
Later in the day I was running so far behind with my errands I decided we'd have "fast food" for dinner, since the evening was peppered with appointments and commitments of various family members. The Dollar Store had boxes of bread mix, at $1 each, and I chose "Apple Bread with Apple Bits." All you do is add 3/4 cup of water and one egg, mix, pour the mixture into a greased baking pan, and bake about 55 minutes. To give it pizzazz, I sprinkled pumpkin pie spice on top. Once tucked in the oven, I got out my "fast food" order sheet, made the call-to-order, and within 35 minutes we were sitting down to dinner. The bread was done as we were eating, and after a few minutes on the cooling rack, it was ready to be served... another great treat for the kids, and a dessert that went excellently well with the adults' coffee!
Any cake that wouldn't be gone by bedtime would be placed in a container, but that was not the case: every bit was gone by 9pm!
SO: Little money, little time, little guilt, great treats... and of course we'll prepare the "special" homemade goodies on those evenings and Saturdays when we have more "time"! (Check out the Amazon linky!) Happy Cooking from the twitterer!
Popular Posts
-
Many of my peeps have wondered why and asked about "the twitterer on Facebook." I'm working on a "Facebook blog" but...
-
a bunch of older men were looking at me while I was shopping....well I didn't care because they were too old for me...one guy deliberate...
-
i'm not blogging today
-
i'm so aggravated right now! I can't get onto the mommies chat! Every mom in the world must go on after 10pm! When all the kiddies ...
-
Pocket-lint : ... Report: Microsoft near $7 billion deal for Skype Technology Hack In The Box - 8 hours ago Microsoft is putting the finish...
-
i'm blogging from Nikki's lappie. found my old box of VCDs lost last time we moved. i had forgotten how much i loved Sailormoon. i...
-
Be advised, these folks are "follow friday friendly" - also check out "50 Best Twitter Moms"
-
Come, network, join the fun! Welcome to the Friday Linky Freebies! Feel free to leave your blog url and links here – yes, for free. No strin...
-
Last Friday, George and I brought BBG to the clinic for her 4th month shots. It was surprising to learn that in just a span of a week, our ...
-
dinner disaster today - mashed potatoes don't bounce.... And I begin in the middle of my life in the middle of a day old enough to know ...