Though many people believe twitter launched at SXSW, the service actually got its start nine months earlier – "to a whimper," co-founder Evan Williams writes on Quora.
Twitter’s 5th Anniversary Stats:
* 3 years, 2 months and 1 day. The time it took from the first Tweet to the billionth Tweet.
* 1 week. The time it now takes for users to send a billion Tweets.
* 50 million. The average number of Tweets people sent per day, one year ago.
* 140 million. The average number of Tweets people sent per day, in the last month.
* 177 million. Tweets sent on March 11, 2011.
* 456. Tweets per second (TPS) when Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009 (a record at that time).
* 6,939. Current TPS record, set 4 seconds after midnight in Japan on New Year’s Day.